Wednesday 18 January 2012

Fit for a Crown-toting Princess?


This week Just Add Ink celebrated their 100th 'birthday' with a challenge that was totally befitting of a centenarian...JAI #100 - Just Add Crowns...


I needed to make a special thank you card for the friend who house-sat for us while we were off singing sea shanties and walking the plank...so I decided I'd try and adopt the crown theme and take part in the celebrations too. Easier said than done!! I finally managed to come up with something that didn't seem too daft (well not to me at any rate...you can set me straight if you feel the need ;-)...


You are probably wondering what on earth this card has to do with thanking a house sitter?! Inside I have written....'for looking after our home, like it was your castle!' I thought that fit the bill nicely. What do you reckon?

The 'rub-on' Thanks sentiment is one of my non-SU ones which would be more aptly described as a 'scrub really, really hard for 20 minutes-on' than a 'rub-on'. If you look carefully in the vicinity of the 'N' you can see some of my scour marks where I scrubbed over and over again in an attempt to get all of the darn thing off the transfer sheet and onto the card.....Gggggrrrrrrrr!

And of course, what princess would be complete without a spot of glitter? Unfortunately the crystal effects, which hadn't been opened in at least eight months, kind of blobbed out when I tried to use it...so I ended up accidently obliterating the little heart on the crown...now it is just one huge hulking diamond instead ;-).


Some may also find the colours a bit in your face. No excuses there. I started with a royal purple (of course) and kind of went a bit crazy from there on in!

To top off my woes with this creation, when I looked at it the following morning all the ruffled purple ribbon had lifted up off the card, and was a big unsightly mess that even glue dots couldn't fix. My sewing machine is still aboard Lucey Blue so I had nothing to stitch that wayward ruffly ribbon back down with either...so I ended up prising off half the card front and remaking the purple strip...sans ribbon.


Bix, if you're reading here...you are totally worth the effort :-).

Have a good one crafty folk, and thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

What a brilliant idea for a house sitter's card Sam! Love it!
So sweet and fun!
Glad you could play along with us at JAI on our special week.

KimB said...

You made me laugh as usual with your story of the card woes :) So nice to have you back! I've always loved that princess - and I'm sure she wouldn't want to ever part with her hulking diamond ;) Thanks for playing along with the 100th JAI challenge.
Kim x

Mae's Cachet said...

Love the bright colours on your card and it is a lovely way to say thank you for looking after your castle. Thanks for playing with our 'crown' challenge at Just Add Ink this week.