Tuesday 14 September 2010

Does this card look like it can swim?


If you answered 'NO, certainly not'...you'd be right!

I made this Christmas card on Sunday morning, and used a groovy new PTI toy that I had recently received as part of a birthday gift (more on that later).

So today, I think...must go take a photo of that card for the blog. I find the camera, put on the 50 mm lens, add the UV filter (which I'd moved onto another lens) and then put in an empty CF card. Get the card, unlock the door, go outside. I carefully set up the shot at the edge of the pool, move away all the leaves and bits of bird doo doo. There is not a breath of wind in the air. You can see where this is going...can't you?

I sit back, set the camera to macro, get the card in frame, select the centre of the card for focus and half depress the shutter. A gust of wind comes...the card moves a fraction...I catch my breath....finger poised. I reselect the focus, aim and SNAP. Gotcha! Check the LCD...shot looks fine. PHEW...


Almost done! Then I open up the card, so you can see the innards....which I have gone to the trouble of decorating...something I don't usually do. Lay it down...sit back, line up the frame, select the focus...and POOF! Enter stage right...HUGE GUST OF WIND.....picks up card and deposits it in the pool! S%&T, S*$T, S@#T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master 4 who had apparently been watching the whole comedy routine from the lounge room window comes running to the door...'MUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM, I DON'T WANT YOU TO PUT THAT PRETTY CARD IN THE POOL'. Me: 'Um...neither did I mate, neither did I!!!'

Not to be outdone by a gust of wind, I still got the shot.....even though it is a bit soggy...

List of Ingredients:


Cardstock: Real Red, Whisper White, Kraft and Textured Chocolate Chip
Ink: Chocolate Chip Classic Ink
Stamps:  PTI Merry & Bright
Accessories: PTI XL RickRack Border Die, Paper Piercer, White Gel Pen, Crimper, Chit Chat Rub-Ons, SNAIL Adhesive and Mini Glue Dots.

Luckily, only the back of the card went in the water...so I can prolly remove the front panel and remake the back panel and re-attach the front to that. This day has just been going from bad to worse...but I'm still smiling!

I also wanted to show you a picture of the beautiful birthday card and matching book mark that my good friend Kim gave me on the weekend. HOWEVER....I can not presently locate them. I promise to you that they are NOT at the bottom of the pool. I think one of the younger family members may have decided they were worthy of adding to their treasure collections. Either that, or I've managed to file them away in one of my cardstock folders that were out on the weekend. A house-wide search and rescue attempt is ongoing. In the meantime here is a pic of the lovely PTI goodies that came with the card and bookmark (thanks again Kim...I love them!!).

PTI Vintage Buttons - Spring Mix, XL RickRack Border Die and Hawaiian Shores 100% Wool Felt (YUMMY)!

Thanks for stopping by today, and remember...don't let the turkeys (or the wind) get you down ;-).






(Blogged to: Shout - Tears for Fears, Alejandro - Lady GaGa and Holding Out for a Hero - Bonnie Tyler).

6 comments:

KimB said...

I read the post with baited breath, waiting for the disaster to happen. Love the clean lines on the card so very glad the damage wasn't too bad and very happy you're enjoying the new toys too :)

Kim

Jo said...

Oh Sam, as soon as I read the title of your post, I knew what had happened. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything, you must have been quick scooping it out. With my luck, my camera would have taken a dip as I tried to retrieve the card. Just as well we don't have a pool!

Leonie said...

What an eventful photo shoot that was! lol! You have such a way of expaining things that I feel like I am right there watching it happen! Your card is lovely, sorry cardstock and all! And, happy birthday, hope you had a great day!

MadonnaDunn said...

heehee....Mental note to self: no photography near pool!! Great card Sam, regardless of the drips!! I'm jealous of your rick rack! I <3 it!

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Oh you poor thing - I would have been stomping around like an old grump for hours!! Kind of reminds me of back in April, I spent hours colouring this card for my best friend - it was a very special thank you card - and I took it with me to school when I dropped my daughter off on an extremely windy day (I mean gale-force!) - I was going to drop it in to my friend's place on the way home. The card fell out of my handbag and literally just blew away - never to be seen again - I couldn't believe it!! Kept looking for it in the school grounds for at least an hour (maybe it blew into your pool?!!). Sheesh - was I grumpy!!

Were you singing "my card comes from the pool down-under" to the Men at Work song? It is a lovely card Sam - even with all the bother!!

Karen said...

Hey there chicki!

What a gorgeous pressie from Kim - I have those same buttons and the ric rac...........you'll have so much fun with them! The felt comes in such pretty colours too......I don't have any of that YET! LOL

I noticed you had the bookmark set too. Isn't it FAB!!! I can see me making a lot of very pretty bookmarks for chrissie this year!

Luv K
x