Saturday 11 July 2009

Traveler's Inspiration Challenge: {two}



WOW...this week's Traveler's Inspiration Challenge photo was like a blast from the past for me!

This is the beautiful inspiration photo:


...and it is from Anthonette at Chavez Designs.

...and this is the blast from the past that it evoked for me...


This photo is taken in Bolivia at the Bolivian/Chilean Border post near Laguna Blanca, in the Andes. In June 1998 we spent a day at this far-flung, altitudinous outpost (5000 m), as part of our travels in South America and Antarctica. The locals gave me Coca leaf tea to help alleviate the altitude sickness I experienced up here...but it didn't do much for me (apparently Coca leaves contain an alkaloid which is the basis for Cocaine [Wikipedia]...so no wonder it didn't do any good!!!!!!!). One of the volcanos in the background of my shot is Licancabur (5921 m). No, we didn't climb it, but two french guys on our tour did!

I have a bunch of other pics I'd like to put in here...we saw flamingos, llamas, guanaco and geysers, and the landscape of the Bolivian altiplano is awe inspiring, but lucky for you they are all slides (as was the one above), and we haven't scanned them in yet (maybe later ;-)...besides which, this post is about Anthonette's pic..not mine...sorry for the sidetracking!

Here is the card that Anthonette's photo inspired me to create:


The Ingredients (all from Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):

Cardstock:
Sahara Sand and Ballet Blue plain cardstock, Whisper White textured cardstock
Accessories: Cuttlebug folders, Linen Thread, On Board Accents (retired), A Perfect Day rub-ons (retired), Sahara Sand Classic ink, sponge dauber, SNAIL adhesive and dimensionals.


I hope you can see where I have tried to recreate the texture and feel of the desert sand, and then the mud buildings...same colours, different textures, and the white to help delineate. This card was a lot of fun to make!

Thank you Tina and Anthonette. This has been a great way to start my day.

PS. Like my new watermark? I got it from Karen Giron....I might even have to get some more. They are soooo cute!.

PPS. We've been having some fun this afternoon, and scanning in our negatives...so here are a few more shots from Bolivia:


Me, outside our 'motel' room...with the world's worst headache.



The toilet (baño)..which is a very elaborate building housing a unisex hole in the ground (aka toilet)...which, being at 5000 m altitude, was frozen solid..ICK!



Laguna Blanca, complete with Flamencos (the small dots of fluff in the lake).



Bathing in a thermal pool...blissful!



Bogged in the magnificent Salar de Uyuni. The guy on the outside is a fellow traveller from Norway named André...André if you ever read this blog...HELLO! The large foot that you can see extending past the others at the back belongs to my hubby...I think he almost fell flat on his face trying to push this 4WD out of the salar bog.



This shot taken from the Isla de Pescado, looking out over the Salar de Uyuni. MUY MAGNIFICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Just me and the Salar!



The salt hotel...you can actually stay here. The whole place is made up of blocks of salt, cut from the salar...GROOVY, but not so good for the skin ;-).

One of the things I remember best about this trip is the sky...such an awesome shade of blue, and the landscape...such stark contrasts and extremely beautiful. Bolivia is an amazing country and I'd go back there in a jiffy!

20 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

Fabulous use of your embossing folders - LOVE all the texture - and the blue is a striking contrast - perfect take on the challenge pics.
Love your new watermark too - very stylish!
xXx

Sarah-Jane Kalé said...

FABULOUS!!!! What a gorgeous card. Isn't this weeks photo gorgeous... and i get to use KRAFT again!!! Yay. Your card really is fantastic Sam... Great Job.

xx Sarah

Traveling Mama said...

Well, it may not have helped but altitude sickness, but at least you were feeling GUUUUde. Just kidding! I love your photo and your story! That is just TOO cool! And your card is so perfect! Thank you so much for playing along!
Sounds like you need to send me some photos, girl!
Hugs!

Mandy Schiller said...

Gorgeous Card Sam! Love the texture and kraft is one of my fav colours as well!

Mandyxx

Dotty Jo said...

Great card, love the embossing and details. Thanks for sharing your travel stories, so interesting and amazing pictures. Jo x

Leonie said...

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip, and your card is beautiful, loving all that texture!

KatieTurtle said...

The card is great, but the photos are wonderful! I can certainly see where your inspiration came from!

Chat Noir said...

Hi Sam, love your photos, and the story too...I love how an image just takes you instantly back...... shades of orange take to the Kimberley. When I saw your slip at the top of the post I was immediately transported back to Greece, which is so NOT what it meant to you!!

Love the blocks and the bubbles of the folders, I can see where they're going.... and your watermark is lovely. I want one!

Chat Noir said...

... that's meant to say, "take ME to the Kimberley" Bad typing fingers!!

Reggae Littlemuscle said...

Gosh! It's GORGEOUS! Combining 2 different patterns and adding an embossed effect on the card. My, combining 2 patterns is something impossible for me *done once, never succeeded*
The Happy Birthday text and.. background (?) is also great! I like it!

Nancy L. said...

Wow, your pictures are amazing! Love the card, too!

Randee E said...

WOW! YOur card is perfect. And I enjoyed looking through all of your pics! What an amazing place :0)

Tethered2Home said...

Oh I love the textures on your card & those pictures are priceless.

pf said...

Sam I love your card and your photos look amazing, must have been an adventure you'll never forget.

Paula

Bethany said...

The textures in your card are fantastic! And your photos pretty neat too...

claudia shadler said...

what a fun card! love all the textures! Nice pics too!

Clouds :D

Winter said...

Very nice! I love all the textures!

Kate Lewis said...

What fabulous pics Sam - I LOVE reading about other people's travel adventures..gives me itchy feet! Gorgeous card too! Kate x

Savitri said...

Beautiful card!! Great textures! Lovely photos too and what a trip!!

Anthonette said...

I loved all your pictures of Bolivia, Sam. One of my best friends is from Bolivia. The contrast from the buildings to the sky looks very much like Taos.

Your card really captures the feeling of Taos Pueblo. I love the texture from those embossing folders. Great job!