Monday 10 November 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha

I recently discovered the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenges blog, and the awesome work of Sankari Wegman and Brooke Stockman.

This week's challenge is:


I only found the site on Sunday, so I popped on down to the local Civic Video store and hired out Memoirs of a Geisha, after first doing a little research on Wikipedia and various other sites. So I was really participating in a Cinema Sunday and Monday challenge.

My favourite scene is this one (image sourced from this site):


So, with this beautiful image in mind, this is the card I made last night:



The idea for the hanging blossoms having been inspired by Sankari's beautiful challenge card. I've part-cuttlebugged the background basic Black layer with a wood imprint, which is mean't to reflect the wooden bridge in the background of the image. The vellum paper is by Cristina Re, and reminds me of both the pond and the dangling blossoms. The blossoms are made up of silk flowers and crystal beads from the Stampin' up! Pretties Kit, and threaded onto cotton.

Today I was in Woden and walked past Pepe's Paperie. I ducked inside and found some lovely origami papers so when I got home I found this site, where you can download directions for an simple origami Kimono. The end result was this:


I am sure there will be lots of origami kimono cards made for this challenge! It is simple and I think it looks pretty groovy! The cardstock is Basic Black and Brushed Gold, and I have tied some retired Gold Cord about the waist for effect.

Thanks for looking,
Sam.

PS. Isn't she absolutely stunning?

9 comments:

Zarna said...

Sam those cards are beautiful!! I think I'm going to have to join in on some of those challenges

Catherine said...

WOW! Both of your cards are just stunning. Love your kimodo card :)

Debbie Pamment said...

I just LOVE this movie and any Japanese patterns - you have done a gorgeous job of translating it to paper and card.

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Gorgeous cards!

chloe said...

I LOVE those hanging blossoms; amazing!!

SmilynStef said...

Wow ... these cards are amazing ... I really love the embossing (it also reminds me of the pinstripes in his suit) and those great blooms.

Sherri said...

Very pretty!

Anthonette said...

Oh my goodness! Gorgeous, Sam! That kimono is so detailed. I'm glad I didn't make a kimono for this challenge. You captured the movie in these cards! Good job.

Becky said...

Gorgeous! Love the kimono card!