Monday 26 January 2009

Somewhere over the rainbow...

...the skies are full of fireworks!




We took the boat out onto Lake Burley Griffin tonight, to watch the Australia Day fireworks. It was SO much fun!! It was possibly the most amazing vantage point I have ever had for fireworks. We anchored just off Commonwealth Bridge, and many of the fireworks actually went off from the bridge, and also from the roof of the nearby National Library building. It was a balmy, beautiful evening on the water, and a simply perfect way to wrap up Australia Day 2009 (for the Oz Day police: yes we also had lamb on the BBQ, and pavlova for dessert..YUMMY).

We've only just got home now and it is 11 pm. The kids were amazing...dozed in the car on the way home, and straight to bed with no fuss at all. Bless their sleepy little hearts.

I started another CSCC card last night while watching Jelena Dokic play an awesome Australian Open fourth round game of tennis against Alisa Kleybanova. Jelena won, but Alisa didn't give away the match easily. It was hard fought and won on Jelena's part, but made for excellent viewing. I was sitting on the floor right in front of the telly during the last set, bouncing up and down and squeaking in excitement (if that doesn't give you scary mental pictures, nothing will ;-)!


(image sourced from this webpage).

OKAY Sam...enough jabbering! Just to remind you, this week's Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge movie is The Wizard of Oz...because, because, because, because, because:


...and here is a pic of my card:


Ingredients (all from Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):

Cardstock: Elegant Eggplant, Only Orange, Whisper White, Yoyo Yellow, Gable Green, Real Red, Green Galore, Glorious Green, Brilliant Blue, Tempting Turquoise
Ink: Soft Sky Classic Ink
Accessories: Cuttlebug folders (Mosaic and Swirls), Spellbinders Nestabilities Circles, scallop circle punch, crystal effects, liquid pearls, miscellaneous floral bling, sponge, SNAIL, glue dots.


The birds flying 'over the rainbow' were made using the scallop circle punch. The cloud effect was made using a mask of scallop circle edges and sponging over this in Soft Sky classic ink (see here for a great tutorial on this technique). The Emerald City (and the sky immediately around it) has been painted with Liquid Pearls in White Opal (to give a shimmery, magical feel). The yellow brick road has been cut out freehand using a craft knife. The 'bricks' on the road have been painted with crystal effects for...a brick-like effect:


There is no sentiment. I toyed with printing something out...but decided the card didn't need it...and besides, the card could be used for a number of different events this way. The metallic element could be either the liquid pearls, which give a slightly metallic effect IMO...or the bling flowers (whose backs are painted with sliver paint)...ok! I'm stretching it here, but its late, and I need to go to bed!

Another thing, the colours may be a just a little bit more vibrant than those on the silver screen, but it is called a creative challenge...'nuf said ;-).

Well, now it is after midnight and it is waaaaay past this little cookie's bedtime. Nighty night stampers!

Sam.

PS. To all those who asked about the state of my craft room after the creation of yesterday's ruby red slipper...YES, it is COVERED in romantic red glitter. So am I, my kids, hubby, the cat, and my mum....ooops :-).
PPS. If you made it this far...well done. Sorry for the long winded post, with so many sidetracks!

12 comments:

Brooke S said...

Love it!
All the texture you added is so cool... Perfect Rainbow! You are the queen of clouds.. Mine never look that good when I use the scallop circle.. or any other paper for that matter.. You are so soft on the touch.. Thanks for playing along! We love seeing all your creations.. You Rock!

Happy Australia Day!
Hugs
Brooke

p.s. it snowed today and the wind is killer.. So jealous of the boating..

Ann said...

Super cute! Love the scene you created!

Danneil Linardi said...

OMG Sam!!!! You just never cease to amaze me. Your cards and your creativity are just atounding and I LOVE reading your "long winded" posts because you always make me laugh!
I didn't think that you could top the ruby red slipper.....silly me!!
Dan. x

Kristie said...

Perfect Wizard of Oz card....love it ♥

Liam said...

What an amazing card. Fantastic work.

Liam

Jules said...

Oh my gosh you are just too funny, I love your long winded posts!
Great fireworks and balmy boat pictures, as you know I am envious of your warm weather, cuz I am FREEZING!!!
And on to your FABULOUS card...I love it, you nailed it girl, it is so adorable!!!
I am going to try to create something for the challenge tomorrow!
Great works girl!

Unknown said...

Hi Sam, this card is Fabulous, but I love the ruby slipper as well. Ange :)

PS I have nominated you for a 'Butterfly Award'.

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Cool, a cat cover with red glitter, how fun is that LOL!

Your Card, Love it! I love the rainbow & all the details, what a brilliant idea to use the scallop punch for the birds.

Had to laugh about the Australian Open, my friend just got back from her Florida Holiday (back to Snowy Ottawa) & had the flu for a time while she was there, "it wasn't all bad, I got to watch the Australian Open, so good" LOL, tennis fans!

Kim Marie said...

Okay, this is my favorite so far! Love the entire thing! So so pretty and beautiful all at once :)
Kim Marie

Corie said...

I love these -- so adorable!!

Cindy said...

Great card! I racked my brain trying to do a rainbow and couldn't get it...wonderful!

Jaimee said...

that is so clever what amazing attention to detail